Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Discovering New Oceans

I have always been intrigued by blogs, but I have never been brave enough to create my own.  Well, my wonderful roommate has finally convinced me to do so.  I named this blog "Discovering New Oceans" because of my favorite quote.  "You can't discover new oceans unless you have courage to loose sight of the shore."  Well, that is exactly what I'm doing.  I'm on my own for the first time, in a new city and state and I'm letting go of everything that tied me down before.  I'm venturing into the unknown and to be honest, I'm terrified.  This is my first year at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.  I have already been here for a semester over the Summer.  So, when all the moms and dads were saying their tearful goodbyes, mine were back home.  We'd already exchanged our sentimental farewells last semester, so this move into my new dorms was nothing new.  I'm settled in and already over a month has passed.  Time is flying and I can hardly keep up.  My roommate and I get along better than I could have dreamed.  We're both nutty and crazy when tired and have the same affinity towards sugar, which means our daily trips to the gym are that much more needed.

Life is getting easier.  I am an undergraduate, majoring in Civil Engineering.  My grandfather, father, uncle, cousins and multiple other family members are civil engineers as well.  I guess it runs in my blood.   A love for math however, does not.  I have been told that as long as I stick it out, I won't ever have to use Calculus again in my chosen career.  I am desperately hoping this is true or I am in trouble.  I do, despite my distaste for math, love engineering.  It is so fascinating to me.  I have always wanted to discover new things and getting into the green movement is calling my name.  I am intimidated by what lies beyond college, but I'm ready to take on the challenges life hands me.  College has its ups and downs, but the positive things make the hard moments worth it.  I hope I can press forward and have courage to loose sight of the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment