Thursday, October 6, 2011

First Snow of the Season

I'm an Arizona girl through and through.  My idea of winter is just cold enough to need a jacket, but not so cold that your limbs will freeze and fall off if you don't.  That is the cold I experienced today.  I woke up at 8, and quickly got ready for class at 9.  I left the apartment and my hair was still soaking wet. The cold air engulfed me within a few seconds of stepping outside my door.  Water was building up everywhere, so by the time I reached the JKB, I was soaked.


 I thought to myself, "Utah, you must hate me."  Trigonometry passed and I slowly warmed up.  I went to Book of Mormon, my engineering seminar and then decided i needed a toasted Subway sandwich to warm me up.  I walked back to my apartment and my face felt like the frozen chicken most of my meals consist of (my cooking skills=fail).  I bundled up and began studying and trying to warm myself up.

Snow on the mountain seemed to say, "this is what's coming for you" and I shuddered at the thought.  Then, to my dismay little foreign white specks began to fall outside.  I was desperately hoping it was still rain, but alas, snow.  Cold, wet, snow.  Don't get me wrong, snow can be amazing and it is beautiful, but this early in the year? I mean, back home, in October, people can still get away with wearing shorts.  I went to my next class after an eventful trip to the creamery where I purchased delicious Root Beer.  The creamery has so many hidden treats.  I always find just what I need to raise my spirits.  Nutrition was just great today.  I immersed myself in the lecture and tried to ignore the shivers and goosebumps that I couldn't seem to rid myself of.  We learned about Vitamins and my professor started talking about different lifestyles and ways of eating and how we can still get all our nutrients.  He told us about a girl who tried to eat just fruit for 3 days.  He followed it up by saying in a chuckle, "she didn't make it."  Then looking at the horrified looks on our faces, he quickly responded, "Oh, she didn't die!"  I love my professor.  His enthusiasm has sparked my interest in Nutrition.  Not to mention, the man is hilarious.  I was sad to see the time on the clock, 5:45.  Class was over and the bitter Utah air was calling my name.  I zipped up my jacket and headed back home.  However, as I looked at the beautiful lighting from the overcast sky and the snow that lightly coated the towering mountains ahead of me, I began to love the weather.  Well... maybe love is to strong.  I was able to tolerate it a little more.



It's new and it's going to take some getting used to, but my life here is just the same.  It's new and foreign, just like those little flecks of snow that fell on me, but if I prepare myself and see the good in it, i can learn to love it.  At least, I'm praying I can view it that way.  It tries my faith and patience every time I leave the testing center or forget an assignment or simply just have an off day, but I know I'm here for a reason.  I don't know why yet, but the first snowfall of the season has reminded me that I can do this.  Everyone was just as cold as I was, but they pushed on through.  I keep looking for that illusive perfect college experience.  I have learned, it doesn't exist, but our actions and experiences make it special for us.  You get out of college what you put in.  With the help of my roommates, I'm willing to face the rest of this year.  I may be off to a rocky start, but my hope is renewed thanks to the first snow fall of the season.

2 comments:

  1. I miss you bunches big sis! I still wish you lived here with me! We're both experiencing changes! Good for you for being so amazing and having a positive attitude even when trials burden you! I wish we could take this first step together! I hope you have a wonderful year in college. (And I hope I don't go CRAZY in high school!) :D I wish I could experience the first snow of the season. It is still super HOT down here in AZ! :( Well good luck sister! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love you sister! And you just enjoy high school! Don't try to grow up too fast. I'm proud of you too!

    ReplyDelete